Master: International Students

Procedures for entry, residency and enrolment of international students and the respective recognition of qualifications, for higher education courses in italy for the academic year 2021-2022

Existing national dispositions for the academic year 2021/22


COVID-19 EMERGENCY:  Read on the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) when there is an obligation of fiduciary isolation upon arrival in Italy.

You can find more information on the website of the Italian Ministry of Health for travellers

During fiduciary isolation you cannot go to university desks, go to class, take tests, admission exams or any exams on site and generally attend university spaces for any purpose.

The violation of the fiduciary isolation obligation is sanctioned by Italian law.

Rules for entering and staying in Italy 

If you are a student from a EU country, you must be in possession of an identity document valid for the entire period of stay in Italy and of an adequate health coverage also valid for Italy.

If you are a student from a non-EU country and you do not reside in Italy, you must apply for an entry visa for study purposes (Post Graduate).

To apply for a student visa you need to:

  • be admitted to a Professional Master’s
  • pre-enrol online through the Universitaly portal (choose the English version at the top right of the page); in the application you must indicate the University of Eastern Piedmont (Università del Piemonte Orientale, UPO) and choose the programme you are admitted to; you will also need to indicate the Embassy / Consulate at which you will apply for the entry visa for Italy; please remember to attach all the foreign academic  documents required;
  • your pre-enrolment application will be made available to the Embassy / Consulate you specified;
  • contact the Embassy / Consulate to find out the requirements to apply for the issue of the entry visa for study purposes (post-graduate), with validity related to the duration of the course

If you are a student from a non-EU country and you reside in Italy, you can enrol if you have a EU long-term residence permit (formerly the Residence Card) or a residence permit for:

  • employment, self-employment or for investor;
  • family reasons;
  • political asylum, subsidiary protection;
  • religious reasons.

If you have held a residence permit for study reasons, for at least one year, you may enrol if the permit is a renewable one (please note that a study residence permit issued for an Italian language course is not renewable).

Residence permit 

Upon your arrival in Italy, within eight working days of entry, you must apply for a residence permit from the competent Police Headquarters (Questura) (check if you have to apply for a residence permit only after the eventual period of fiduciary isolation). This is compulsory if you stay in Italy for more than 90 days.

To complete the matriculation a copy of the receipt received on applying for a residence permit must be sent to the UPO Master Desk.

Once you have collected your residence permit, you must send a copy to the UPO Master Desk.